With just a couple of weeks to go until Christmas (where has the time gone?!), there’s not long left to do your Christmas shopping. Instead of battling the crowds on Princes Street or worrying about online deliveries arriving in time, pop out and visit some of Edinburgh’s many fantastic independent shops.
No matter what you’re looking for, there’s sure to be an independent shop in Edinburgh with the perfect gift. We’re pretty lucky to have a huge selection of boutiques and shops in Edinburgh – from independent delis to quirky jewellery emporiums and vintage clothing stores to luxury homeware shops. Here’s our ultimate guide to independent Christmas shopping in Edinburgh to take the stress out of gift-buying this festive season.
Food & Drink
- Coco Chocolatier: ethical and organic artisan chocolate bars, truffles and hot chocolate (174 Bruntsfield Place, EH10 4ER & 20 Raeburn Place, EH4 1HN).
- Valvona & Crolla: legendary Italian deli and foodhall with luxury hampers and lots of individual foodie treats (19 Elm Row, EH7 4AA).
- Mademoiselle Macaron: Parisienne-style macaron cafe with gift boxes and special occasion macarons (22 Grindlay Street, EH3 9AP).
- Pekoetea: unusual loose leaf teas and infusions, coffee and hot drink accessories (20 Leven Street, EH3 9LJ).
- I.J. Mellis: luxury cheesemonger with a large selection of artisan and farmhouse cheeses (30a Victoria Street, EH1 2JW & 6 Bakers Place, EH3 6SY & 330 Morningside Road, EH10 4QJ).
- Cranachan & Crowdie: fine Scottish food, drink and gifts from local producers and popular Scottish brands (263 Canongate, EH8 8BQ).
- Drinkmonger: whisky, spirits, liqueurs, beer, cider, cocktail ingredients and more (11 Bruntsfield Place, EH10 4HN).
- Lupe Pintos: Mexican deli with imported spices, chillies, hot sauce, tequila and other world foods (24 Leven Street, EH3 9LJ).
- Pinnies & Poppyseeds: handmade traditional and flavoured shortbread, as well as other local foodie gifts (26 St Mary’s Street, EH1 1SU).
- The Bon Vivant’s Companion: specialist wine and spirits merchant with drinks from independent distillers, brewers and wineries (51 Thistle Street, EH2 1DY).
- Cornelius Beer & Wine: quirky and carefully selected range of beers, wines and spirits (18-20 Easter Road, EH7 5RG).
Fashion & Jewellery
- Godiva: fashion boutique with clothes and accessories from independent designers, as well as a curated selection of vintage items (9 West Port, EH1 2JA).
- Hannah Zakari: unusual, quirky jewellery and accessories from British designers (43 Candlemaker Row, EH1 2QB).
- Kakao by K: Scandinavian inspired boutique with stylish clothes, accessories and jewellery from brands not usually available on the UK highstreet (45 Thistle Street, EH2 1DY).
- Those Were the Days: sophisticated vintage boutique with designer finds and one-of-a-kind retro pieces (26 St Stephen Street, EH3 5AL).
- Covet: designer handbags and accessories from a variety of brands, including Covet’s own collection (20 Thistle Street, EH2 1EN).
- Just G Boutique: stylish, uncommon and affordable womenswear and accessories with limited stock to ensure uniqueness (10 William Street, EH3 7HN).
- Biscuit: clothing store for modern women, with a selection of design-led homeware, beauty and stationery pieces (22 Thistle Street, EH2 1EN).
Stationery, Books & Art
- Paper Tiger: unique gift cards, wrapping paper, stationery and cute stocking filler gifts (53 Lothian Road, EH1 2DJ & 6A/8 Stafford Street, EH3 6AU).
- Golden Hare: independent bookshop with a carefully curated selection of beautiful and interesting books (68 St Stephen Street, EH3 5AQ).
- Edinburgh Art Shop: art and craft supply shop with everything you need for DIY Christmas cards and wrapping, or arty gifts (129 Lauriston Place, EH3 9JN).
- Red Door Gallery: varied selection of prints, artwork, cards and accessories from local and independent artists and designers (42 Victoria Street, EH1 2JW).
- Owl & Lion: art gallery and bookbinders with prints, books, stationery and bookbinding masterclasses (66 West Port, EH1 2LD).
- Curiouser & Curiouser: eclectic selection of illustrative prints and stationery, unique jewellery and design-led homeware (93 Broughton Street, EH1 3RZ & 106 Bruntsfield Place, EH10 4LA).
- Present: quirky gifts, cards and homeware pieces with an emphasis on fun, kitsch and unusual items (18 St Mary’s Street, EH1 1SU).
Homeware & Lifestyle
- Scottish Design Exchange: not-for-profit concept store featuring homeware, clothing, accessories, jewellery, art, books and more from independent Scottish designers (Ocean Terminal 1st Floor, EH6 6JJ).
- Life Story: design-led store stocking Scandi-inspired homeware and stationery from both Nordic and British brands (53 London Street, EH3 6LX).
- Elk & Wolf: boho homeware and lifestyle accessories, plus regular creative pop-up workshops (Arch 10, 19 East Market Street, EH8 8FS).
- Rose & Ammi: florist with a focus on cacti, succulents and greenery, plus home accessories and pretty plant pots (2 Gillespie Crescent, EH10 4HT).
- Homer: homeware shop uniquely laid out with different products in each themed room of a Georgian townhouse (8 Howe Street, EH3 6TD).
- Pad Lifestyle: luxury edit of the best homeware, lifestyle pieces and bespoke furniture from across the world (46 Howe Street, EH3 6TH).
- Catalog: modern and contemporary furniture, homeware and lighting (2-4 St Stephen Place, EH3 5AJ).
- Nice Stuff: one-stop-shop with a huge variety of gifts, homeware, jewellery, accessories and cards (44 Broughton Street, EH1 3SA).
- Cloud 9: affordable florists shop with a quirky selection of gifts including candles, ornaments and jewellery (40 Easter Road, EH7 5RG).
Menswear & Accessories
- Frontiers Man: carefully selected range of tricky-to-find menswear brands, with stylishly understated clothing and accessories (4 William Street, EH3 7NH).
- Kestin Hare: contemporary menswear made in the UK by Edinburgh-based designer Kestin Hare (46 St Stephen Street, EH3 5AL).
- The Brotique: unique gifts for men including grooming products, technology, apparel and accessories (39 Queen Street, EH2 3NH).
- 21st Century Kilts: modern boutique for quirky off-the-peg and bespoke kilts and jackets (48 Thistle Street, EH2 1EN).